2006.07.06 陶喆在日记中谈论新专辑

转帖: 新浪|微博新浪 百度|Hi空间百度 开心网开心 校内|人人网人人 豆瓣网豆瓣 搜狐|白社会搜狐 淘宝|淘江湖淘宝
1 F  发表于 2006-7-20 08:15 | 只看该作者 | 倒序看帖 | 跳转到 »

這張專輯在聽覺上將會是一張「比較柔性」的專輯

(English/中文)
7/6/06 4:39pm Aboard a flight back to LA

Once again writing this journal on a plane…however, what makes this entry different than others is that it marks the end of the production my fifth studio album. I’ve spent the past few weeks literally living in the studio working till roughly 4 to 5am everyday. I can only describe my feeling right now as relieved as it is almost over with the mastering of the album remaining to be completed. As you can imagine, I am thoroughly exhausted though for some strange reason I don’t feel it. In fact, I feel a certain energy and anticipation within me probably because I haven’t had the time to cool down or unwind yet. I’m sure my body is low on energy but I feel as if I can still go on a few more days without sleep or rest. For some strange reason I feel as if there is still more work to do on the album though it’s near completion.
Looking back, it’s been a very challenging, often times frustrating though, in the end, rewarding experience making this album. There is so much I want to share with you about this album and its’ making though it’d be better if I didn’t divulge too much just yet. The album, as I mentioned before, is a “softer” album in terms of sound. It isn’t as edgy or controversial as perhaps the past two albums though I feel it is, nonetheless, still an album with a clear concept and reflects what I’ve been feeling during this period. I’ve tried for the past few years to make albums that were cohesive in tone and sound; however, I always felt that I fell short. Regardless of how successful the albums were, I always felt that there wasn’t enough unity in sound as well as in concept with my previous albums. However, I feel with this album I achieved more cohesiveness in what I was trying to say along with how I said it. Musically, for example, you’ll find on this album a large presence of string and horn sections. Part of my intention was to bring in a lot of my musical influences from the 60’s and 70’s Soul and Rock eras in which strings and horns played a large part of the sound and arrangements. Therefore, this album has a certain musical nostalgia from those periods though not necessarily going for a vintage sound. I feel the sound and feel of this album is much more grand, dramatic and larger than my previous albums. Lyrically and thematically, there is also more of a sense of romanticism and sentimentality than previous albums, which were more realistic without taking as much creative liberty.
One thing that I discovered as I was making this album was that hidden behind all this sentimentality and romanticism was a hidden sense of fear within me. This fear, specifically, was of the loss of time, memories and feelings I held dear in my heart. Looking at it from another perspective, there is this fear of losing these things while at the same time appreciating and cherishing them. Perhaps as we get older we tend to be more preoccupied by things in the past while when you’re young you feel as if there’s nothing to lose and life is all about forward momentum. There was quite a bit of irony as I was writing the lyrics for many of the songs because there always seemed to be a dual meaning and purpose for everything. This was revealed to me gradually as I was making the album, as it was something that crept out from my subconscious mind.
Like I said before, making an album often times takes you to uncharted territories musically but also within your own heart and mind. And that is what makes this entire experience so rewarding. A famous musician once said that if you find a formula for making successful music then you should quit making music. That couldn’t be truer as life and the creative process should always be about surprises, spontaneity and real emotions.
As these following months ensue, I’ll be touring and promoting this new album. Though the album may be completed the journey has just begun. I’ll be looking forward to seeing and hearing many of you again as well as also sharing with you new music, stories and emotions from this album. Please stay tuned…
DT

2006年7月6日,下午4點39分,登上返回洛城的班機

又是在飛機上寫日記…不過,這次跟以前不太一樣的,這代表第五張錄音室專輯的製作過程已經告一段落了。我過去幾個禮拜差不多就是住在錄音室裡,每天工作到清晨四、五點。我只能說我現在的心情是比較放鬆的,專輯只差母帶後期處理便可大功完成。可想而知的,我應該是徹底的筋疲力盡了,但很怪的,我竟然沒有這種感覺。事實上,我內心充滿能量與期待,這有可能是因為我還沒有時間靜下心來好好休息。我很確定我現在的體能是很虛弱的,但是我又覺得自己好像還可以好幾天不用睡覺或休息。不知怎麼搞的,雖然專輯已經差不多算完成了,但我還是覺得有很多事情要做。

在製作專輯的這段時間是充滿挑戰,有時甚至是令人沮喪的,但是最後的結果著實讓我受益良多的。我好想跟你們分享這張專輯的內容跟製作過程,只是現在我好像還不能透露太多。就像我之前說過的,這張專輯在聽覺上將會是一張「比較柔性」的專輯。這張專輯或許不像前兩張專輯那樣尖銳而充滿爭議性,但我覺得它依然是一張概念清楚的專輯,真實反映了我這段時間的心情。過去這幾年,我一直嘗試做出音調與響音一致的專輯;然而,我總是覺得結果不盡理想。不論之前的專輯有多成功,我還是覺得它們的響音跟概念的統一性是不夠的。然而,我覺得這張新專輯的一致性做得比以前更好了,它相當貼近我想傳達的想法。例如在音樂上,你可以發現這張專輯鋪陳了許多弦樂與管樂。之所以會有這樣的做法,部份原因是因為我想將我承襲自60、70年代的靈魂樂與搖滾樂的影響帶進這張專輯,而弦樂跟管樂在那個時期的編曲裡面便佔了相當大的比例。因此,這張專輯在音樂上或多或少呈現出那個時期的懷舊氛圍,但又不是全然復古的。我覺得這張專輯的響音與情緒是比之前的作品更為開闊且張力十足。以往的歌詞與主題偏重在現實的陳述,這次則是運用更多天馬行空的創意,抒發出更為濃烈的浪漫與感傷情懷。

在做這張專輯的過程裡,我發覺到在這些浪漫與感傷的身後,潛藏著我體內的恐懼。我尤其害怕時間、記憶與心中寶貴感受的消失。換個角度來看,這樣的恐懼其實是一種感激與珍惜。也許隨著我們年歲的漸增,我們會對過往的事物愈發著迷,而不像勇往直前的年輕生命,不怕失去,不畏消逝。我在寫新歌的歌詞時,很多都帶有反諷的意味,每件事物都具備了雙重的意義與目的。

就像我之前說的,製作一張專輯經常會帶著你進入未知的領域,這不僅是音樂上的,還包括你的心與靈。整個製作的經驗也因而變得彌足珍貴。曾經有位知名音樂人說過,如果你發現了製作暢銷音樂的祕方,那你就不應該再作音樂了。人生的真理不就是如此嗎!創作的過程應該一直是充滿驚喜、自然而真實的情感。

未來的這幾個月,我將展開新專輯的宣傳行程。只要專輯一出爐,旅程便正式啟動。我很期待可以看到你們,聽見你們的聲音,跟你們分享關於新專輯的音樂、故事與感情。敬請密切期待…

陶喆

on my way to see my friends who lived a couple blocks away from me as i walked through the subway

2 F  发表于 2006-7-22 14:46 | 只看该作者
我们也期待啊

3 F  发表于 2006-7-26 11:44 | 只看该作者

支持

4 F  发表于 2006-9-20 20:05 | 只看该作者
永远都支持陶陶。。。[em04]

返回列表