2009.06.08 我是69

转帖: 新浪|微博新浪 百度|Hi空间百度 开心网开心 校内|人人网人人 豆瓣网豆瓣 搜狐|白社会搜狐 淘宝|淘江湖淘宝
1 F  发表于 2009-7-18 20:51 | 显示全部帖子 | 倒序看帖 | 跳转到 »

《我是69 》——陶喆 

June 8, 2009

1969年,人类首次登陆月球,尼克森成为美国历史上最著名的丑闻总统之一,来自哈佛和康奈尔大学的学生开始了大规模的反战暴动,伍迪艾伦写下了他那本关于性的争议小说,男同性恋们第一次敢于反抗警察,第一个摇滚音乐节“伍斯托克” (Woodstock) 诞生,披头四发行了他们最著名的专辑之一 ——《修道院大街》并在之后解散,齐柏林飞艇(Led Zeppelin)制作了第一张重金属摇滚专辑,两场令人心神不安和神秘的连续杀人游戏-(曼森家庭谋杀团和黄道十二宫杀手)揭开序幕,庞克音乐诞生,《午夜牛郎》成为第一部得到奥斯卡最佳影片的限制级电影,《芝麻街》发表它的第一场秀,还有……

在那同一年,7月11日,我出生了。

现在看1969年也许是一个十年的结束,但它曾被认为是,实际上,也的确是一个人类新时代的诞生。这一年与先前相比有更多不同,并且充满了可称之为里程碑式的事件和激烈变化的阶段,是那些,让今天的我们决定在世界上如何作为。但我们中的许多人直到现在也没有意识到这点……

1969年前的世界仍旧是个十分守旧的地方。无论如何,在1969年,看上去每件事都需要打破常规,每个人都需要获得自由。那是一场爆炸——一场关于思想,情感,道德乃至于科技的爆炸。世界看上去象个反叛者联盟。这爆炸是我们今日所知的“反文化”的源头。我的父母,作为其中一员,决定用私奔来反叛他们在传统与各自家庭中所扮演的角色。他们翘家,结婚,和有了我。我,作为他们反叛的报应,如果能有个将我的成长过程一格格拍下的照相机,你将发现我是个非常顽皮和叛逆的孩子。在那些日子里,我的双亲头顶爆炸头,身穿亮闪闪的喇叭裤,有巨大领口的花衬衫。我爸爸甚至戴粉红围巾。在嬉皮年代把你的头发留长是种“酷”。六十年代中期到处是“和平与爱”,包括性解放和吸毒的小众文化。尽管那时的世界看上去比我们今天生存的多了那么多“自由”,但相对而言,我们现在拥有更少的限制。是否真的是这样呢?

大量的现代艺术与流行文化看起来非常粗略肤浅。认真说来它们只吸引我们的感官,但并没有真的触动思想或引人探讨。最初它们也许看着“酷”,可当你深究下去想找到其中意义的时候,却什么也找不到。无论如何,让我最烦恼的是如今的音乐,艺术,时尚和美感有非常多是衍生品。它们从六七十年代创新的艺术形式借用和“拷贝”而来,却没有保留那些艺术原有的灵魂和意义。除了个看上去很不错的躯壳以外什么也没有,里面是空的。从过去寻找灵感并没有什么错,但我们该怎样从中创造新的原创作品呢?比制造衍生品更糟糕的是通过抄袭制造一个更糟糕的抄袭作品。我们都知道要让某物变得更完美是困难的,但我们是否至少能把它原汁原味地复制下来?

我个人觉得了解事物的历史和起源非常重要。如果你正努力制造属于你自己的原创作品,这是绝对必需的。这不仅和创作领域有关,而且也涉及商业,科技,政治以及社会学的范畴。如果你是位汽车设计者,就必须完整了解从第一辆福特开始的汽车起源,以及你的竞争对手现在正制造什么。如果你写摇滚歌曲,你必须了解摇滚音乐所蕴涵的深度和广度,就是它从非洲部落音乐起源,到演变成蓝调,和怎样进化到硬摇滚的历史。所有的事物都生成于其他事物,因此知道它们的根源是什么和是怎样发展的,是很重要的。

我一直反对说,正统的嘻哈说唱音乐(hip-hop and rap music)不可能在台湾,香港或内地成长,因为我们没有孕育它的历史和环境。这不是说我们不喜欢嘻哈和说唱作为一个乐风,但它存在于此不合情理。嘻哈饶舌音乐乃是源於非洲人被贩卖到美国的殖民史、被压迫史,帮派文化和暴力。它的产生是大胆说出自己意见和表达自我的需要,而不仅只是一种音乐种类或个体印象。这音乐诞生于压迫,暴力和歧视,台湾,香港或内地的新新人类们是否受过那种痛苦呢?还是说他们采用某种类型的音乐和衣服,只是因为它酷?我常在台北、香港和北京的街头看到打扮得象嘻哈说唱者的青少年,但我总怀疑他们是否真的“言行一致”?当然,他们穿成这样没什么可指责的,但难道进深和找到是否“我们只是徒有其表,还是真的活出我们自己”的答案,是不重要的吗?

也许这个时代不仅是肤浅和毫无意义的,它甚至再也不了解它自己。他们说上两个时代被叫做“X”和“Y”。现在这个被命名为“Z”。这名字是否代表“零时代”?

1969年9月26日,披头四乐队发表了最后一张专辑《修道院大街》 (官方说法是《让它去吧》)。之后不久,他们解散了。这张专辑,跟他们大多数的作品一样,取得巨大的成功。披头四的音乐总是有蓝调、古典、爵士、乡村音乐的痕迹,是一种融合其他的主流音乐。不过,它不是衍生品。它是十足原创。他仍旧很有创造力,热情和诚意。为什么披头四成为历史上最有影响力和成功的乐队,在我的观念中,创造力,热情和诚意是原因之一。

但那是属于六七十年代的精神。老鹰乐队在他们的畅销曲《加州旅馆》里说得最合适。《加州旅馆》里有句歌词是“从1969开始,我们不再拥有那种精神....”

在1969年,你在何方?如今,你在哪里?

2 F  发表于 2009-7-18 20:52 | 显示全部帖子
I Am 69
By David Tao

In 1969, the first man landed on the moon, Nixon became one of most infamous presidents in US history, students from Harvard and Cornell began mass anti-war riots, Woody Allen wrote his controversial book about sex, gays fought back for the first time against police, the first Rock music festival (Woodstock) was born, the Beatles released one of their most famous records (Abbey Road) and then broke up, Led Zeppelin produced the first heavy metal album, two disturbing and mysterious killing sprees (the Manson family murders and Zodiac killer) unfolded, Punk music was born, Midnight Cowboy became the first X-rated movie to win an Oscar for Best Picture, Sesame Street aired its first show and…  

In that same year, on July 11th, I was born.  

1969 may have been the end of a decade but it was, in fact, the birth of a new era for mankind. This year was somehow different than previous and was filled with landmark achievements events and cataclysmic episodes that to this day define who we are as a world. But many of us are not aware of this…  

The world before 1969 was still a very conservative place. However, in 1969, it seemed that everything and everybody needed to break free. There was an explosion…an explosion of thought, expression, morality and even technology. It seemed like the world as a whole united to rebel. It was the birth of counter-culture as we know it today. My parents, for one, decided to rebel as they acted against tradition and their families by eloping. They ran off, got married, and had me. I, in turn, grew up as a very mischievous and rebellious child which could have been a case of instant karma. In those days, my parents had big hair, wore bell-bottoms and bright, flowered-print shirts with huge collars. My dad even wore a pink scarf. It was the hippie-era and it was cool to wear your hair long. The mid 60’s was all about “peace and love”, embracing a sexual revolution and drug sub-culture. The world seemed so much more “free” than the world we live in today though, comparatively speaking, we now have less restrictions. Or is it really so?  

A lot of art and pop culture from today seems very cursory and superficial. It’s meant to appeal only to our senses but doesn’t really generate much thought or discussion. It may seem “cool” at first but when you dig deeper to find a meaning, you find nothing. However, what disturbs me the most is that much of today’s music, art, fashion and esthetic sense is very derivative. It is derived and “copied” from original art forms of the 60’s and 70’s without retaining its soul or meaning. It’s nothing but a shell that looks good from the outside but is empty within. There’s nothing wrong with drawing on inspiration from the past but how can we create something new and original with it? What’s worse than creating something derivative is creating an inferior copy of a copy. We all know it’s difficult to improve upon something that’s already perfect but can we at least copy it faithfully?  

I personally feel that understanding the history and origin of things is very important. It is absolutely important if you are trying to create something original yourself. This pertains not only to the creative field but also to the business, technological, political and sociological realms. If you are a car designer, it’s imperative to thoroughly understand the genesis of the automobile from the first Ford to what your competitors are building now. If you write rock songs, then it’s important to understand the depth and width of how rock music evolved, from the history of African tribal music, to the Blues, and to how it evolved into Hard Rock. All things are born out of other things so it’s important to know how they evolved and what their root are.  

We must not forget that the 60’s and 70’s were a tumultuous time. The world was engulfed in human rights movements, wars, riots and political upheaval. Perhaps this gave people a reason and motivation to express themselves? Is it that the age defined us and not us that defined our generation?  

I’ve always argued that real hip-hop and rap music cannot grow in Taiwan, HK, or China because we don’t have the history and environment to nurture it. It’s not that we don’t like hip-hop and rap as a style of music but that it doesn’t have a “reason” to exist here. Hip-hop and rap’s origins lie in African-American history, repression, gang culture and violence. It is born out of a necessity to speak out and express one’s self and not merely just a genre of music or a particular sound. Do the young generation of Taiwan, HK and China suffer from a repression, violence and discrimination that hip-hop and rap was born out of? Or are they merely adopting a style of music and dress because it’s cool? I frequently see on the streets of Taipei, HK and Beijing kids who are dressed like rappers and hip-hop artists but I always wonder if they really “walk the talk”? Of course, there’s no crime in dressing the way they do but isn’t it important to go deeper and find out if we are merely adopting an appearance or really living true to ourselves? Perhaps this generation is not only one that is superficial and doesn’t have meaning, it doesn’t even know itself anymore. They say the last two generations are named X and Y. This current one is named Z. Does it stand for Generation Zero?  

On September 26, 1969, the Beatles released their last album (officially it was Let It Be), Abbey Road. Soon after, they broke up. The album, like the majority of their albums, was a great success. The Beatles’ music always had many traces of blues, classical, jazz, country and a host of other genres. However, it was NOT derivative. It was very original. It was also very creative, expressive and honest. That, in my opinion, is one of the reasons why the Beatles are one of the most influential and greatest bands in history.  

But that was the spirit of the 60’s and 70’s. The Eagles’ said it best in their hit song, “Hotel California” with the lyric, ”we haven’t had that spirit here since 1969…  

Where were you in 1969? Where are you, today?  

返回列表